Family-Friendly Library~~~~Helpful Service with a Smile Handicap Accessible Facility~Strollers, Wheelchairs, Walkers, Canes are welcome!
The Britton Public Library is financed by the city of Britton and governed by a Board of Trustees appointed by the mayor. The current Trustees are Ginny Anderson, Jack Erickson, Roger Furman, Audrey Schuller and Maggie Jerde. They each have a three year term and can be reappointed.
The Britton Public Library began in 1909 as the Britton Study Club. Through 1913 the Study club members made themselves responsible for the financial aid to the library by special dues collected at each meeting. There were several locations for the reading room as it was called. One of the earliest was in a store which stood at the corner of Main and Seventh. In November of 1911 the reading room moved into the "Sentinel" office, local newspaper,. for a fee of $10.00 per month. In 1912 the Study Club asked the city to collect taxes to pay for the financial upkeep of the library. In 1914 the city council agreed upon the proposal from the Carnegie Library to build the library with the grant of $10,000, and the city would support and maintain it forever. The library moved into the Carnegie Library on February 1, 1921. Here it remained until 2002. That year it was decided to move the library and neighboring swimming pool as the school needed to grow. A location at 7th Street and 8th Avenue was chosen for the new library. The Library opened on October 13, 2002 at this location.
Friends of the Library This organization is a group of people who meet several times a year to discuss issues of importance to the library. The purpose of the group is to promote the library and for fundraisers for the library. Everyone is welcome to join. Contact the library for information.
Mission and Policies of the Britton Public Library (Drop down menu when you click on about us)
If you have any questions concerning these please contact the library.